Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

1st draft

Oh Freedom

The Spiritual Trilogy Medley are three traditional songs that I think would mean the same to a African American who wanted freedom. The song I chose to write about is titled “Oh Freedom”; its a traditional song so no one knows who wrote it. I think it was sung in churches to pray to god for freedom; not just from the white mans injustice, not just from there sticks but from the body that they had to endure the white mans beating. It was sung at rallies or at protests to resist violence because its never easy to “turn the other cheek” when some one slaps you right on our face.
The song starts “oh freedom, oh freedom, oh freedom over me...”, I think who ever wrote when ever it was written the artist is calling freedom to come. I think the artist is so tired and sick from all the fighting that he cant make any physical play to obtain freedom so he wants freedom to come and surround him like clouds surround a crop field on a rainy day. So he goes on saying “...before I'll be slave, I'll be buried in my grave.

1 comment:

  1. Good start - think about how to move from this description to your speculations and connections to your secondary text.

    ReplyDelete